A crankbait fishing reel is a suitable solution for fishers in a quest to have the best fishing experience. Most anglers will confirm that having the best crankbait reels as part of your fishing gear means having the biggest catch. Crankbait reels have proved to be the best fishing reels whenever you are fishing under challenging conditions that are seizing aggressive and burly trophies. A crankbait reel may be useful for different styles of fishing, but you still need some special skills to find the best one in the market.
If you are finding it more challenging to pick the right crankbait fishing reel, then this unbiased review and buying guide will be very helpful.
Crankbait reels: A comparison chart
Picking the right crankbait reel is a challenging task. After all, not all fishing reels are classified as crankbait. Here is a comparison chart to help you analyze the top 10 crankbait reels at a glance.
|1||Hunter’s Tail Fishing Reel||5.59 x 4.48 x 2.87 inches||10.4 ounces|
|2||Lews Fishing Laser MG Speed Spool Series Reel||6 x 5 x 3 inches||10.4 ounces|
|3||Daiwa Tatula TASV103HS Baitcasting Fishing Reel||0.3 x 1.1 x 84 inches||9.6 ounces|
|4||Abu Garcia 1365366 Black Max Low Profile Reel||7 x 5 x 3 inches||0.3 ounces|
|5||Abu Garcia 1430429 Revo SX Low Profile Baitcasting Reel||7 x 5 x 3 inches||11.2 ounces|
|6||Daiwa Tatula Type Gear ratio M/L ACT TATULA-R100H||5.4 x 4.2 x 2.9 inches||0.3 ounces|
|7||Lew’s Tournament MB Baitcast Reel||6 x 5 x 3 inches||9.6 ounces|
|8||The Sougavilang Baitcast Reel||–||10.2 ounces|
|9||Abu Garcia Revo Low-Profile Baitcast Fishing Reel||7.9 x 5.9 x 7.9 inches||24 ounces|
|10||Piscifun Torrent Right Handed Baitcasting Reel||5.1 x 4.5 x 2.5 inches||10.4 ounces|
1. KastKing Royale Low-Profile Fishing Reel
This a low-budget fishing reel with 11 plus 1 corrosion-resistant ball-bearings. It offers a smooth cast and reliable retrieve. The ball-bearing system is intended to take the pressure off every bearing to extend the lifespan of the fishing reel.
This crankbait reel from KastKing is lightweight and durable as its body is made of aluminum. Besides, the drag system and gears are made of carbon fiber and brass that can effectively withstand a maximum of 17.5 pounds of drag without compromising the weight-to-power ratio.
- The reel facilitates powerful and smooth casting
- Works perfectly for both fresh and saltwater fishing environment
- Offers high-performance and is available at an affordable price
- The reel has 7:1 gear ratio which appears to be on the higher end for crankbait reels
- The user must adjust both the drag and braking for the reel to work as expected
2. Lew’s Laser MG Speed Spool Series Fishing Reel
This crankbait fishing reel was professionally designed and manufactured to enable budget-conscious fishers to get their hands on a functional, high-quality, and reliable fishing reel. Its speed spool is made of robust aluminum that gives the user a little leeway to speed up their catch without cleaning and drying their reel.
Made from high-quality materials, the reel’s body is durable, and you don’t have to worry about damage even when the reel drops accidentally.
- Has easy and smooth action
- Equipped with an adjustable braking system
- Offers better control when casting
- The gear ratio appears to be higher for a crankbait reel
- Drag can slip every few pulls
3. Daiwa SV Tatula Baitcast Fishing Reel
Daiwa SV Tatula Fishing Reel is a reliable and complete baitcaster with outstanding casting performance. It lets you cast your bait over long distances seamlessly. Anglers with less time for fishing gear maintenance should opt for this bait caster so that they can use it regularly.
It is heavier compared to other reels, but that shouldn’t discourage you from considering this reel. This is because it is made of heavy, high-quality materials for durability. Besides, this product will let you to catch much fish no matter the size and the type of bait you choose. Also, gear pressure can be easily adjustable, which minimizes vibrations backlash during your fishing adventures.
The best thing with this reel is that combines TWS and SV and that means you can comfortably skip the rings. Besides, the reel has a small body, and therefore, you can hold it in your palm comfortably.
- Facilitates smooth casts
- It is durable
- It has an adjustable tension
- It is heavy and could cause fatigue
4. Abu Garcia Max Low-Profile Fishing Reel
It is time to redefine your fishing experience. If all you have been doing is spinning, the Abu Garcia Max is the perfect tool for transitioning to crankbait fishing. It is a powerful tool that uses power disk drag technology and is ideal for most angling. Its vital features, including the Max Trax Brake System and power disk drag system technology, make it a superior product.
- User-friendly for both the beginner and the professional and offers a comfortable and easy grip.
- Performance and flexibility that is both consistent and smooth.
- Durability- made of high-quality materials which increase sturdiness without incurring a heavyweight
- Brake system- gives more control to the user while still providing accuracy and precision.
- It comes with a 3-year warranty for individual consumers.
- May be complex for beginners
- Some users find it too noisy for comfort.
5. Abu Garcia Revo SX CranbaitReel
Combining outstanding performance with an ultra-lightweight frame, Abu Garcia is one of the most trusted brand names in the fishing gear industry. Abu Garcia Revo SX Low Profile Reel casting reel has been a successful crankbait angler for a very long time. With its C6 carbon handle side plate and rust-resistant X2-Craftic alloy frame, this reel has a sleek, durable frame the delivers added sensitivity to even tiny bites.
The reel’s D2 Gear Design as wellDuragear offers an efective gear system and lasts longer. The MagTraxbraking system lets you apply just the right amount of braking force to boost your cast’s range and accuracy. The Revo SX’s Infini II design boosts castability and durability. This baitcasting fishing reel offers smooth, minimal friction drag performance to help eliminate instances of line breakage and enhance your catch rates.
- Smooth retrieving action
- Its adjustable brakes make casting more accessible and more consistent
- Has a reliable braking system
- Requires regular cleaning to maintain the soft feel
- The low-profile design limits the available space for line
6. Daiwa Tatula Baitcast Reels- take your fishing experience to the next level
Apart from enjoying that fresh catch on your plate, fishing is an exciting and relaxing hobby. It has evolved over time from simple fishing techniques to more advanced methods, and now you can have the ultimate experience using Daiwa Tatula Baitcast reels. These reels are designed to offer you the maximum angling experience and have been listed among the top 10 crankbait reels in the market today.
- Diversity- the reel comes in different sizes to cover anglers of all ages and hand sizes.
- Weight- Feels light and comfortable yet has enough power for flipping and pitching suitable for all kinds of angling, including big game fishing.
- T-wing technology- allows super smooth long, deep casting with less backlashes.
- Durability- carbon fiber and the aluminum frame without compromising on quality and performance.
- The reel needs some tuning out of its box
7. Lew’s Tournament MB Baitcast Reel
Lew’s Tournament MB Baitcast Reel is among the essentials you should consider having if you are planning a fishing adventure or even a tournament. Besides, this product weighs 7.7oz; and that means your wrist won’t get tired when using it. The fishing reel has a ten-ball bearing system that is used with a non-reverse clutch bearing to enhance precise and smooth operation.
This product applies magnetic control and efficient centrifugal braking. Therefore, whenever you hook fish that’s resisting, you don’t have to worry. After all, there will be reduced backlash, and the line can’t snap off quickly.
The reel is wrapped by a carbon composite frame that helps to lower the weight and offers incredible strength, so you get a solid feel in your hands. Other significant features include the Zirconia line guide, multi-setting brake feature, and external lube port, among many more.
- It is lightweight
- The baitcasting reel is smooth to cast
- You get value for your money
- Easily adjustable
- A little noisy
8. The Sougavilang Baitcast Reel
This fishing reel from Sougavilang uses an 11+1 ball bearing system, which is composed of 11 ball bearings and a single roller bearing. All these ball bearings are corrosion-resistant. The bearings power a smooth machined aluminum spool and a 3-disc carbon fiber star drag system.
These materials combine to create a durable, lightweight reel that weighs 8.3 ounces. The baitcasting reel is made of carbon construction body, side plates, and handle for extreme weight savings, added rigidity, and corrosion-resistant.
Like other top-quality baitcasting reels, this reel has a variable braking system that delivers accurate line control while casting and reduces the chances of bird-nesting your line. The real also features double wind shafts, which helps to maintain the fishing line in the reel’s spool to boost the efficiency when casting and retrieving.
- Easy to cast and a smooth retrieve
- The best option for beginner anglers
- 18-pound drag limit
- Can only work with a braided line
9. Abu Garcia Revo Toro Beast Fishing Reel
You can now fish in saltwater without fear of corrosion. Rusting is a major problem facing individuals who choose a saltwater environment. Fortunately, this crankbait fishing reels come with stainless steel bearings for enhanced corrosion protection giving it more durability and better performance.
The Abu Garcia Revo Beast crankbait reel constitutes of a Power Stack Matrix Drag System that wards off drag pressure for a smooth fishing experience.
- Corrosion proof bearings and roller for durability in saltwater
- Aluminum spool for strength and durability
- Ultra-lightweight frame and extended bent handles than previous generations yet maintaining the power bring up hard-pulling fish
- Duragear Heavy Duty for optimal control
- May not be suitable for extremely heavy fish
- The reel can be complicated especially for less experienced anglers
10. Piscifun Torrent Baitcasting Reel
With its high-strength brass drive gear and high-grade carbon washers, the Piscine Torrent gives you the power to pull the largest fish from the depths. It features a unique drilled oil hole, which helps to easily lubricate the reel enhancing its longevity and performance.
- Machined brass gear for a strong drag system
- Extended crank handle for leverage and power to battle the largest fish.
- Anti-corrosion gears and bearings for smoothness even in saltwater
- Unique side plate port for quick and efficiently lubricating
- Comes with a spool tension knob to prevent bird’s nest forming
- May mot work well with light lures and is better suited for deep fishing
- After a period of use, the thumb bar may not depress freely
- The grips are small and do not offer easy handling for everyone.
Reels play a significant part in ensuring you get the best catch when fishing. They come in different styles, systems, price, technology, and quality. All you want is to land a quality and affordable fishing reel that will last a lifetime. Well, it is not easy finding such reels with your eyes closed. Crankbait reels are some of the best fishing reels you can get in the market with vigorous searching.
Notably, most anglers are always confused when choosing crankbait fishing reels. Some anglers may pick at least six fishing reels before they can land the best one. Some even buy and use different varieties of fishing reels to test and find out one that suits their fishing style and needs. When choosing a fishing reel, there are some key factors that you must have in mind.
Whether you are shopping for a drop shot or a crankbait fishing reel, these are some critical components that you must examine before paying for the fishing reel. Let’s look at some of those factors.
The gear ratio
Gear ratio is an essential feature of a quality fishing reel. It is the gear ratio that tells you the number of turns your fishing reel spoon can make for every manual turn you make using the handle. For example, fishing reel with a gear ratio of 6:5:1 means that the spool turns 6:5 times for every single turn you make using the handle. This means that you should be keen when selecting your crankbait fishing reel to ensure it has the right gear ratio. The gear ratio determines the efficiency, smoothness, and turning speed.
If you are looking for an efficient crankbait fishing reel, then you must find the one with a favorable gear ratio for your fishing style. Typically, a fishing reel with an excellent gear ratio of 3:4:1 is less efficient than one with a gear ratio of 6:5:1. So, when choosing a crankbait fishing reel, ensure you pay attention to the gear ratio to establish its quality in advance.
Reels with a low gear ratio
Your choice of a gear ratio depends on your style of fishing. Ideally, having a crankbait fishing reel with a low gear ratio is not a wrong choice as long as you are comfortable with it when fishing. Most low gear ratio reels are recommendable for big swimbaits, deep crankbaits, and water spinnerbaits. With a low gear ratio, you can easily control your lures and increase your fishing efficiency.
If you are going to sue heavy baits that require more drag force, then you should opt for a crankbait fishing reel with a low gear ratio. Most bass anglers using deep crankbait prefer fishing reels with low gear ratio because they have higher torque and require minimal effort when retrieving the bait. When using a gear with a low gear ratio, you also use less energy to find your catch and pull it out of the water.
Also, those fishing in cold water environment should go for crankbait fishing reels with low gear ratios. This is because the fish in cold water are wary, and having a slow-moving fishing reel makes it hard for the fish to notice the lure movement.
Inches Per Turn (IPT)
Not many anglers understand the importance of IPT when choosing the best fishing reel. Inches per turn refer to the amount of fishing line that your reel can retrieve for every single spin you make on the spool. A faster reel has a higher IPT and is suitable for dealing with a disturbing catch that needs stability to pull out for the water.
Note that other factors such as spool size, depth, and width can influence the IPT rate for any fishing reel. The gear ratio does not determine the IPT rate of a crankbait fishing reel. That means that you can have a fishing reel with a low gear ratio but a higher IPT rate. The IPT value for a crankbait fishing reel decreases if you are using a wide and heavy fishing line.
Other factors that will influence your choice of the best crankbait reels include material, price, origin, your style of fishing, and more. When picking a quality fishing reel, you must ensure it has all the specifications that meet your fishing style. The easiest way of finding a perfect fishing reel is by looking at its gear ratio. The gear ratio will always tell whether it matches your style of fishing or not.
Also, if you want to double your fishing reel performance, ensure it has the best fishing rod too. Now you know what to look out for in a crankbait fishing reel. So, go ahead and make the right selection from your favorite store and enjoy your fishing adventures.