Remember the days when anglers had to depend on imagination and good luck to catch fish? Well, they are now long gone thanks to new inventions like bait casting reels.
We want to take you through the buying process the best bait casting reels under 200 so that you can get yourself a quality product at a fair price.
Walk with us through this journey and you will definitely come out more knowledgeable.
Best Baitcasting Reels Cheaper Than $200: Comparison Table
Here now is our comprehensive list of the reels we think are worthy of mention. We have a detailed review of each one of them in the paragraphs that follow.
|1||Piscifun Phantom Carbon Baitcasting Reel||Carbon Fiber||8.8 ounces|
|2||Daiwa Tatula Type Gear ratio M/L ACT TATULA-R100H||Carbon Drag||0.3 ounces|
|3||Hunter’s Tail Fishing Reel||Carbon Fiber||10.4 ounces|
|4||Shimano Curado 200K XG Freshwater Fishing Reel||–||12.2 ounces|
|5||Abu Garcia Pro Max Baitcasting Fishing Reel||Aluminum spool||11.2 ounces|
|6||Lews Fishing Tournament MB Baitcast Reel||Aluminum frame||6.4 ounces|
|7||Lews SPEED SPOOL LFS BAITCASTING REEL||Aluminum||9.6 Ounces|
|8||Abu Garcia 1430429 Revo SX Low Profile Baitcasting Reel||Stainless Steel||–|
|9||Shimano Citica 201 I, Baitcast Fishing Reel Left Hand||–||7.5 Ounces|
|10||Daiwa TACT100P TATULA CT Baitcast Reel||Aluminum||10.58 Ounces|
1. Piscifun Phantom Carbon Baitcasting Reel
This reel is a high performer, considering the gear ratio is 7.0:1. You are able to cast fast and accurately even at long distances.
This baitcaster has dual brakes that enable you to make instant adjustments whenever necessary.
Moreover, the carbon crank handle that is extended provides power and leverage required to pull big fish from deep covers.
- This baitcaster is easy to use
- It has dual breaks for instant adjustments
- The reel has strong power
- It is light in weight with high performance
- This reel has failed to work as required for some customers
2. Daiwa Tatula Baitcasting Reels
This reel is made of an aluminum frame that is light in weight yet durable. Moreover, the side plates on the gear side provide protection from damage.
The reel has an air rotation system. This enables you to stop anytime or move as per uncertain fish movements.
- The clutch mechanism is resistant to corrosion
- This reel uses air rotation
- The baitcaster is a high performer and durable
- It has anti-reverse technology
- The reel only works for a short while then fails to perform
3. KastKing Royale Legend Baitcasting Fishing Reel
The dual brake system prevents backlash and enables you to have complete control while casting. You can also adjust it with ease.
The handles are oversized and made of stainless steel for better control. Furthermore, it has grips from EVA which are foam-padded to wick away moisture and this minimizes the risks of slipping.
- The baitcasting reel works at high speed
- The dual brakes are quick and easy to use
- The handles are oversized and non-slip
- The reel is good with heavy baits
- The tension knob does not stay in place at low setting
4. SHIMANO Curado K Baitcast Reel
This baitcaster uses a Micro Module Gear System which has more teeth that are smaller in size. As a result, retrieval is easy and smooth.
The reel has a HAGANE body that is highly rigid and stiff for better impact resistance that eliminates body flexing. This directly affects cranking power making it more efficient.
- This reel can be used in both freshwater and saltwater
- It is efficient and durable
- Managing the reel is simple
- The spool control and brake force are consistent
- Some customers find it to be heavy, hence tiring to use
5. Abu Garcia Pro Max Baitcasting Fishing Reel
This reel uses externally fixed MagTrax Brake System which is adjustable for efficient controlled casting. Besides, the stainless steel bearings provide a smooth reel-in process.
The Power Disk drag system used on the reel is effective in taming fish that are hard to pull by providing a smooth drag. In addition, the design is low profile, enabling you to manage and outlast the catch.
- The reel is strong and durable
- Using the baitcaster is simple
- The brake system is effective and efficient
- This reel is light in weight yet performs well
- The handle is unreliable when in use
6. Lews Fishing Tournament MB Baitcast Reel
The reel’s frame is made of die-cast aluminum that is in one piece with removable side plates. Therefore, the internal parts are protected from damage, enabling the baitcaster to last longer.
The clutch bearing, which is a zero-reverse and one-way, is made of stainless steel. The results are reduced rate of tear and wear, smooth operation and high performance.
- The lube port is external thus easily accessible
- The drag system on this reel is powerful
- The Multi-Setting Brake system is adjustable from the outside
- The gearing is strong and made of solid brass
- Some customers find the audible click during casting to be irritating
7. Lews SPEED SPOOL LFS BAITCASTING REEL
This reel has a one-piece aluminum frame that is die-cast and rigid. It keeps all the parts properly aligned while functioning as required.
The Magnetic Control System can be adjusted externally with ease. This gives you the ability to align the fly in accordance with the fluctuating weather conditions and varied lures.
- The reel is strong and durable
- The removable side plates are made of graphite
- The lube port is external thus easy to access
- The reel works efficiently
- Some customers find the drag star to be brittle
8. Abu Garcia Revo Fishing Reel
The reel has nine ball bearings that are made of stainless steel to maximize their corrosion resistance. You are able to cast with ease and retrieve effortlessly since they work smoothly.
The side plates on the reel are carbon made leading to less body weight. This has no effect on the durability, performance and strength of the baitcaster.
- The reel performance is smooth and efficient
- It is strong and durable
- Using the reel is simple
- The brakes are effective
- You have to readjust the spool tension with every bait change
9. SHIMANO Citica Baitcasting Reel
This reel is available in 6.3:1 and 7.2:1 gear ratios meaning the speed is high with adequate performance. Moreover, the stainless steel ball bearings make the whole process smooth.
The reel has an SVS Infinity Brake System that is easily manageable. This brake system ensures precision when controlling your cast enabling you to maximize on distance.
- The spool is designed to work smoothly
- The reel is fast and efficient
- The shielding on the ball bearings makes them durable
- This reel has both right and left-hand orientation
- It needs a lot of experience for good results
10. Daiwa Tatula CT Baitcast Fishing Reels
The TWS T System on this reel minimizes backlash, making your casting more accurate and effective. Moreover, the lightweight reel is smaller in size, thus easier to use.
The frame on this reel is made of aluminum that is rigid, ensuring all the components are properly aligned for quality performance. Furthermore, the frame is durable and can withstand harsh conditions over a long period of time.
- The reel is strong and durable
- You can make long casts with no backlashes
- Using and controlling this reel is effortless
- The drag works well
- This reel makes a loud noise when casting
Buying Guide for Best Bait Casting Reel Under 200
The best bait casting reel under 200 is not just something you will order and get delivered to you. You need to consider some crucial factors if you want to make the right choice.
Size of Spool
If you plan to catch bigger fish, you require a heavy fishing line. A bigger spool creates smaller line coils that you can easily manage.
Shallow smaller spools work best for short line applications such as pitching and flipping.
Tension System and Brakes
The role of the tension knob is to control the line at the point where your cast begins. On the other hand, the brakes help in controlling the line where it ends.
A good braking and tension system is of great importance when it comes to making long casts with different lure weights. It also reduces backlashes.
Materials and Bearings
You want to get quality stainless-steel or ceramic bearings in your bait casting reel. Generally, a reel with more bearings provides a smoother experience in terms of casting and retrieving.
Go for a reel that is durable and lightweight. You do not want to keep digging into your pocket to keep replacing reels do you?
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Just as expected, there are several questions on this topic. We have answered several that can be of help.
Can I use a bait caster on any rod?
It is possible to use a bait caster on a spinning rod, but that is not advisable. The line will come spinning reels in big loops and this is the reason why spinning reel guides are much bigger compared to casting rods.
Which is better spinning reel or bait caster?
It depends on your plans. However the biggest obvious difference is that the bait caster is placed on top of the rod while the spinning reel is placed under the rod.
Most anglers find it easier to cast with a spinning reel because it facilitates further casting.
How long should my fishing rod be?
The typical length of an average fishing rod ranges between six to twelve feet. However, it depends on the kind of fishing you want to do, the fishing environment, and the kind of fish you are targeting.
The best length for a beginner should be about seven feet.
Best Overall Choice
Our best baitcasting reel is KingKast Royale Legend Baitcasting Reel because the characteristics it has will make your experience one of a kind. What you get from KingKast Royal is value for your money since its adjustable features ensure your baitcasting needs are all met.
You can only release your full potential as an angler with the best fishing tools. For instance, a quality bait casting reel offers you great control over your lure and allows you to identify your lure position.
The ultimate goal of this guide is to help you pick the best reel for under 200 and we are confident that you will.